Hospitality Internships Abroad
Keen to pursue a career in hospitality? It is now getting harder and harder to find that dream job. Standing out from the crowd seems near impossible. By applying for a hospitality internship abroad you are proving that you are flexible, determined and open-minded. Search the best hospitality internships around the world perfect if you are looking to gain work experience and boost your career.
Top Reasons to Apply
- Get a foot in the door which can lead to full time employment
- Gain experience on your CV & give your career a kickstart
- Make new professional and personal contacts
- There are opportunities to intern all over the world
- So many roles will suit you and help your career progress
You can find hospitality internships all around the world. Popular places to apply include:
- Europe: UK, Spain, France, Italy
- North America: USA, Canada
- Asia & Middle East: Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Thailand
- Pacific: Australia, New Zealand
Paid Hospitality Internships Abroad
Some companies offer paid internships in hospitality in the UK and around the world whilst some hellp towards the cost of training, accommodation and food. Some international agencies charge a fee to participate but you will get a respected structured placement. If you already have experience you might want to check out our hotel jobs abroad.
Why Join an International Hospitality Internship?
Hotel may want to employ a foreigner intern for a few different reasons:
- you are the right candidate for the role,
- they believe you can offer internal training for the other staff, such as helping with English and help explaining western culture/etiquette, and
- maintaining customer relationships and to be the first point of contact for international guests.
Typical programs will be for 6 or 12 months and the position will most likely be ‘Management Trainee’, a position where you learn the different roles in the hotel. You will get the choice of working in the Front Office or Food and Beverage, which ever one you think you will prefer, but you will only be offered customer facing functions.
Different daily roles can include:
- check-in and check-out process,
- guest complaints and guest correspondence (email and direct),
- recommend hotel services and facilities to the guests,
- staff training,
- event planning,
- basic administration including stock-taking, guest survey satisfaction monitoring, daily log keeping, and
- table-waiting duties.
You will also be offered different benefits depending which chain/hotel you apply. If you are one of the lucky ones you may be offered to stay in a 5 star hotel with free hotel meals. Other hotels may offer you the chance to stay in the hotel staff dormitory located not to far away from the hotel with a free staff canteen meals. You may have to find your own accommodation in an unfamiliar city and may not be offered any meals. So make sure you understand your benefits when accepting the position. But the best part about a hotel placement is that you will receive an allowance.
Some companies / hotels might require you to have a related degree. Other requirements are fluency in spoken and written English, strong customer service orientation and skills and the ability to establish direct and amicable working relationship with colleagues and managers. Additional language skills are also an advantage.
How to Gain Employment After an Internship
Before accepting the internship you must also fully understand the visa requirements and whether the hotel will help you apply. It is very common for hotels to offer a permanent position in the hotel after the contract has been completed and interns do sometimes take up the offer.
If you offer hospitality intern programs and would like to be featured here please contact us.