Jobs in the USA
Dream of living and working in the United States? Find seasonal work, internships / work experience placements, part time jobs, summer jobs, winter jobs, summer camp jobs, J1 and H2B visa jobs in the USA. Some positions include accommodation and you could find yourself working in places like New York, California or Florida!
Jobs & Internships in the USA
Work in the USA
Interested in working abroad in the USA? Apply today for the experience of a lifetime. There are a range of jobs available where you will get paid and also get time to experience more of the country. Working in the USA can be an amazing experience, a lot of people want to stay and end up returning year after year especially as there is the option to apply for a winter / summer position or spend a longer period living working.
Some jobs will require you to be a student or recent graduate but other positions are more flexible. If you have already applied for a USA working holiday visa, on our directory you can find recruiters hiring J1 and H2B visa staff in the USA. Summer jobs in USA, these positions are a lot of fun and you will make new friends from all over the world. Working a winter ski season is also an incredible opportunity! The USA is one of the biggest countries in the world, on a flexible working holiday visas you can apply to work anywhere in the country.
The USA is a huge country and you really need to decide where you would like to work as each city, state and town offers a difference experience. You will get to visit places made famous in films and experience one of the most amazing countries in the world. View our guide to working in the USA today.
- Get paid to live in the USA - do you need any more convincing
- See new places, you get lots of free time to explore in your spare time
- Make new friends with other international workers
- Gain experience and new professional contacts
- Make money to fund future travels
- Choose from lots of destinations
Find Jobs By State:
Find seasonal work, J1, H2B, summer, winter and temporary jobs in the United States.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
J1 Visa Jobs in the USA
View requirements for working in the United States on a J1 visa:
- To work in the USA you need a J-1 Visa which is a non-immigrant visa issued by the US authorities for people participating in work and cultural exchange programmes
- To gain a J-1 work visa you must be 18 years old or older - once accepted you will be able to work for up to 4 months anywhere in the USA
- You will need to be a full-time student registered at university
- You will need to attend an interview with the US Embassy in your native country
- The visa costs £145 in the UK
- When arriving in the USA you will might need to show you have enough money to support your time ($800 or $1200) depending if you have a job already lined up
- With the J-1 visa you will also have 30 days to travel on completion of employment
- You are free to depart the country before the visa finishes
- There is also a H2B Visa scheme which allows companies in the USA to hire international staff if they need to during key seasonal times of the year. There are lots of positions available you can apply for but you will need to check that your recruiter is a H2B registered employer
H2B Visa Jobs in the USA
A H-2B visa allows both international students and non-students to live and work in the United States for a seasonal period. You will get the chance to stay for up to three years and can work for a number of employers in industries like gardening, hospitality, tourism, theme parks, water parks and winter ski resorts.
You can find h2b visa jobs as landscapers, groundskeepers, bartenders, waiters, servers, cooks, housekeepers, kitchen assistants and general workforce staff during summer and winter. International companies and visa sponsors like InterExchange and the Alliance Abroad Group help international applicants to find h2b visa jobs with local employers throughout the USA. To be eligible for a h2b visa you will need to be 18 years of age or over (no age limit), not work in a skilled profession and have a basic level of English.
Summer Jobs in the USA
There are lots of international travel companies who offer summer jobs which include your visa and travel arrangements. Companies also help you to find jobs whilst in the USA and these programs are a good way to spend a few months seeing a new part of the world whilst gaining work experience. Types of jobs available include working in tourism, hospitality and as a sports instructor.
There are flexible jobs and working holidays in the USA which allow you to travel and see more of this country. The USA is one of the worlds best countries to work in and there are also endless travel opportunities. You can find literally hundreds of jobs in the USA you could apply for, you might like to view our guide to working at a summer camp in the USA.
Football & Sports Instructor Jobs in the USA
If you have a passion for sports and want to share this in the USA next summer you could apply to work at a camp in America. Jobs are open for people who possess a high level of skill, experience and qualifications in particular sports activities. This is a great opportunity to put your sports leadership skills and coaching qualifications to good use at summer camp! USA summer sports jobs include being: tennis Instructors, gymnastics coaches, water-skiing / wakeboarding instructors, lifeguards, horse riding instructors, fencing coaches, archery instructors & swimming instructors.
Winter Jobs in the USA
In winter you could consider working at a American ski resort. There is a need for seasonal winter staff with roles including instructing ski lessons, assisting on ski slopes, lift operators, slope patrols and general ski resort staff. Imagine beginning your day instructing ski lessons at a world class resort in Colorado for example and spending the whole day in the mountains.
Working a winter ski season is most people idea of a dream job. Types of jobs available is you are looking to work a winter ski season in the USA include hotel jobs front office staff, room attendants, reservation sales assistants, maintenance, restaurant/kitchen positions e.g. cook/server, cashiers, general helper/busser, ski lift operator, childcare assistant and also ski instructor.
You can find ski resorts throughout the country, popular places to seek winter employment in America include:
- Aspen/Denver in Colorado
- New York
Professional & Engineering Jobs in the USA
If you have a degree in engineering, you can easily find work in this sector in the USA. Engineers are in high demand in this country, especially in Silicon Valley, and foreign applicants are welcome. As far as salary is concerned, you won't have to complain. Indeed, being an engineer in the USA pays a lot. If you don't know, it's one of the highest paid jobs! However, you must have the right profile.
Industries where demand is high include banking, information technology, marketing, construction, information technology, electronics, automotive, construction, manufacturing, biotechnology, aerospace and industrial equipment, to name a few.
As for cities to apply, you can look for engineering jobs at :
- Austin (Texas): biotechnology, software & hardware
- Chicago (Illinois): high-tech, finance
- Seattle, Washington: software (Microsoft)
- San Jose, California: Silicon Valley (Google, Apple, Facebook, Netflix, Yahoo, Hewlett Packhard, etc.)
- Boston (Massachusetts): electronics engineer
- Minneapolis (Minnesota): information technology
- New York City (New York State): finance, advertising
- Houston (Texas): aeronautics space and applied research,
How to find your first job as an engineer? What are the tricks to exploit? When you are an expatriate, it is not easy to find your first job, even in an industry with high demand. To give yourself the best chance of finding a job, start by looking on job boards, which are automatic aggregators of job offers that list offers by field, nationality, etc. In addition to job boards, you can use a placement agency. These are companies that canvass companies in the US and promise to find them qualified employees. You can also use your network. This can be a family member, friends, people from your training school, or even people met on social networks. This technique works very well. By using your address book, you can easily find work as an engineer in the US.
USA Work & Travel Highlights
- Exploring New York City, no other city in the world compares!
- Going skiing in Colorado, some of the best slopes in the world are located here and also Boulder is a great place to be based
- Visiting the Grand Canyon which is simply breathtaking, there is also a new glass walk over the Canyon which is not for the feint hearted
- Wandering around and getting awestruct at the Yosemite National Park
- Helping at a National Park and help nature and conservation efforts
- Going to Disney World in Florida, there is fun to be had here for everyone
- Driving the legendary Route 66' highway and stopping off at small towns along the way
- Watching a live sporting event, there are so many to choose from including basketball, baseball, American Football, soccer and more
- Checking out the locals on South Beach, Miami
- Doing a road trip of California stopping off in places like Santa Cruz and Santa Barbara
- Seeing Niagara Falls on the border with Canada
How to Apply
You can search jobs in the USA on our directory. Some companies offer structured programs in the USA, they will find you a job placement, arrange your visa and also book you on a group flight. What is usually included:
- A guaranteed placement
- Visa sponsorship
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Advice and support during your stay in the States
- Orientation and training
- Assistance setting up a bank account and social insurance number
The price of a program really depends on what you would like to do, for example working at a summer camp can have a sign up fee of around £500 which includes flights. Wages when in country can vary dramatically depending on where you work, what job you do and what company employs you.
If you need any help arranging a job in the USA please get in touch. You might also like to view our jobs in Canada.
If you offer positions to international staff and would like to be featured here please contact us.